Susquehanna Morning

Susquehanna Morning

Monday, November 30, 2015

Advent Evening Prayer: Welcome!



Welcome to Advent Evening Prayer! 

During this season of Advent, I offer an opportunity to join me in evening prayer in this space.

I do this, first and foremost, for selfish reasons. In the past I have found the practice of daily prayer to be intensely rewarding, even transformative. For some reason, the human self being what it is, that doesn't necessarily translate into my complete and ongoing embrace of it. I often choose other activities, including sleep. From time to time I need to jump start again, and I felt doing it in community, in this case, the community created by readers, would be helpful to me.

My second reason for doing this is closely related to the first. I have found this practice to be life-changing. In particular, I have found reading the daily lectionary texts to be one in which I was opened to the presence and persistence of God's love. Advent is probably the season of the church year I love the best, and it is also one which holds for me many tender reminders of all kinds of seasons of my life. I wanted to offer this possbility as a gift to anyone moved to join in. You, like me, may be wanting a little nudge to help you get going in this area. You may already have a smokin' daily prayer life, but find it's nice to let someone else drive for a while. Whatever your reason for being here, welcome. I'm glad you joined us. Here's how it will work.

Each evening at 6:00 EST I will post here a simple invitation to join in the practice of Lectio Divina ("Sacred Reading"). *You can take part at any time from 6:00 on... whenever it is convenient for you.*

I will select a passage of scripture; it will come either from the Revised Common Daily  Lectionary (which can be found here), or from the coming/ current Sunday's Narrative Lectionary (which can be found here). (For those unused to "church-speak," a "lectionary" is just a table of suggested scripture readings.)

I will provide a simple description of the practice of Lectio Divina, which you can engage in, using the suggested scripture passage.

I will offer a brief reflection, as well as a link to music to supplement the devotion.

I will also offer a closing prayer, original or found (including attribution and links to any that are not my own.)

Again, welcome. Thank you for joining in, at whatever level you are comfortable. And blessings to you in this holy and beautiful season of waiting.




1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for the lovely opportunity, Pat. Looking forward to participating.

    ReplyDelete