Susquehanna Morning

Susquehanna Morning

Thursday, March 29, 2018

Lent 25: Thursday in Holy Week, Mercy House Meditation

This meditation was shared at Mercy House during a Holy/ Maundy Thursday service.

First Reading Mark 14:13-16; 22-26

           [Jesus] sent two of his disciples, saying to them, “Go into the city, and a man carrying a jar of water will meet you; follow him, and wherever he enters, say to the owner of the house, ‘The Teacher asks, Where is my guest room where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?’ He will show you a large room upstairs, furnished and ready. Make preparations for us there.” So the disciples set out and went to the city, and found everything as he had told them; and they prepared the Passover meal. 
           While they were eating, Jesus took a loaf of bread, and after blessing it he broke it, gave it to them, and said, “Take; this is my body.” Then he took a cup, and after giving thanks he gave it to them, and all of them drank from it. He said to them, “This is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many. Truly I tell you, I will never again drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God.”

Second Reading John 13:2b-7, 33-35

           And during supper Jesus, knowing that the Father had given all things into his hands, and that he had come from God and was going to God,  got up from the table, took off his outer robe, and tied a towel around himself. Then he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and to wipe them with the towel that was tied around him. He came to Simon Peter, who said to him, “Lord, are you going to wash my feet?” Jesus answered, “You do not know now what I am doing, but later you will understand.”
“Little children, I am with you only a little longer. You will look for me; and as I said to the Jews so now I say to you, ‘Where I am going, you cannot come.’  I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another.  By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Mercy House
On Thursday of Holy Week, Christians enter into the most sacred days of our year. On this day we remember a meal, a gathering at night of Jesus and everyone who was closest to him. And having loved his own who were in the world, he loved them to the end. 

The first reading Ann shared with us gives us some of the logistics of that meal. Where would they eat? How would they know? Jesus sends two of his companions to work out the details. Then we find them at supper, with Jesus sharing, not only bread and cup, but also his startling, enigmatic words. Holding broken bread in his hands, he says, “This is my body.” Holding the cup, he says, “This is my blood.” 

This is my life, Jesus tells the people who know and love him best. Watch, as I pour out my life for you. This is love.

In the second reading, shared by Sister Joanna, Jesus startles his friends in a different way. He rises from the table and ties a towel around his waist, and proceeds to wash the feet of his friends.

In the ancient world, in the Middle East, it was a strong tradition of hospitality that you would wash the feet of your friends when they came to your home to dine. And hospitality in a climate that could be harsh and hostile was a life or death matter. Everyone was expected to offer it, even to their enemies, because everyone needed to be able to depend on it when they had the need. 

Jesus washes the feet of those gathered at table together, and it causes dismay among them. Peter speaks up, and we can tell he feels that Jesus has somehow reversed the order of things, that they ought to be washing his feet, not vice versa. “You don’t understand now,” Jesus says, “but you will.” And then he makes himself clear: Watch, as I show you how. This too is love.

In the ancient world as Christianity began to spread, devout followers of Jesus explored different ways to follow him, and some, you may have heard or read, chose lives of solitude, living alone, even in caves, so as to be able to focus themselves entirely on the scriptures and penance and prayer. And a wise man named Basil was skeptical about following Jesus in that way. He wondered, “But whose feet will they wash?”

On Thursday of Holy Week, Jesus shows us love. He gives us the gift of himself during that meal around a table. And he reminds us that, if we count ourselves among those who are gathered at his table, and receiving his hospitality, service to one another is at the heart of our calling. 

I feel as if, here at Mercy House, among residents and those who love them and those who care for them, this is probably the very definition of preaching to the choir. “Service to one another is at the heart of our calling.” But maybe I can also suggest this: it is a holy thing to serve, and it is also a holy thing to let someone serve you. Peter had to learn that. Those who would serve Jesus, must first let ourselves be served by him.

So perhaps I can offer this: On this Holy Thursday, as Jesus shows us love, as he pours himself out for us again: How can we let Jesus serve us? How can we let down our defenses, and let him love us, just as we are? 

That is what Jesus wants to do. That is what he tries to do, every day, in every way, by every sign, if we can manage to pause, or to lift our heads, to take notice. Jesus, who breaks the bread and pours out the cup for us… Jesus, who ties a towel around his waist and shows the ultimate hospitality to us… Jesus longs to love us. Just as we are. Let our prayer be: Jesus, help me to let down my defenses. Help me to let you love me. Today. Right now. Just as I am. 

Thanks be to God. Amen.

I owe thanks to the producers/ writers/ folk of Pray-As-You-Go for the inspiration for this meditation.

No comments:

Post a Comment