Susquehanna Morning

Susquehanna Morning

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Wednesday of Holy Week: Making It Your MUST

I can't leave my house without making my bed.

I know. At my age, that's not exactly a boast. It's more a confession. 

There are times when I think, "I'm the only one who is going to see this. Why not just leave it?

That's a complete lie. IT WOULD NEVER OCCUR TO ME. I am incapable.

Now, I am not a great housekeeper. Ask anyone who has ever set foot in my house. Lots of piles of magazines and paper and mail. Nothing that ascends to the standards of hoarding, but I am definitely at ease with a certain amount of dishevelment. I'm not sure why making my bed is such a MUST for me. But, I must.

This Lent I believe I've added another MUST to my life: Morning prayer and scripture reading. I also tried to write here, and managed to do that somewhat regularly until last week, when my life as a pastor became predictably busy as Holy Week approached. 

And, any other Lent, I'd be kicking myself about that. I love writing, I love scripture, and I love Jesus. I always hope to contribute my little bit towards something that might be nourishing or helpful. I wanted to do that for Lent.

But this Lent, I recognized that, if something had to go, on a particular day, it could not be morning prayer. 

I'm using the new PCUSA Daily Prayer Book. It's familiar (my old one is falling apart). But it's also new, and, for me, a fresh, rich resource for personal devotions. (Or group; it's set up so that it can be used both ways.)

And, I suppose, it goes back to the old axiom from air travel. If the cabin pressure changes, and the oxygen mask drops in front of you, PUT ON YOUR OWN MASK before trying to help anyone else.

It's counterintuitive, especially for Jesus-y people. We assume we're supposed to help the other guy first.

Growing things.
But you can't put the oxygen mask on the person next to you if you've passed out.

And you can't pour from an empty bucket.

You can't pour from an empty bucket.

You can't pour from an empty bucket.

This Lent, I've started prioritizing making sure my own bucket is full before thinking I'm capable of offering something that will be helpful to someone else.

Prayer and scripture, first thing, go a long, long way to filling me up.

And after a Lent in which I prioritized them, they are now on my MUST list. I can't not do it. 

To be clear, this isn't about moral rectitude. It's about habit-building. 

I finally managed to build this habit that I have long known I needed.

Hoping and praying for you all, that you find that thing that fills your bucket, and find a way to make it your MUST.

No comments:

Post a Comment